The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

May 17, 2024
Field Trip To UW
Field Trip To UW
May 16, 2024

Black History Month not Just a Month for Mr. Jeremi

With Black History Month coming up, we interviewed Mr. Jeremi on his thoughts about Black History Month. Mr. Jeremi does not just celebrate Black History Month in February, but with every month. It is his way of life. “Every month is Black History for me,” Mr. Jeremi said. The way he celebrates is recognizing the people that helped the Black community become as equal as other people in the world; even though racism is still around. We still did a good job and carried out many amazing things in Black people’s careers and lifestyles. For example, Daniel Hale Williams, not only being the first person to perform the world’s first successful heart surgery but being the first Black person too. “… the way you live your life, the way that you conduct yourself, recognizing other black cultures, not just one form of American black history but other forms of black history.” That is how he lives his life. That is his lifestyle. However, Mr. Jeremi’s problem with Black History Month is that Black History Month is not really taught in schools. Sure, they acknowledge it, but they do not do anything about it. He wants to see it taught in schools, more than just recognized as month for social construct. “We recognize the month, but we don’t recognize the actual academic learning aspect of it,” Mr. Jeremi says. As a school, we can improve by not only recognizing Black History Month; but also teaching it as well.