The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

Naramore Artshow
Naramore Artshow
June 13, 2024

Why I Wish Recess Was Longer

I love recess, but sometimes it feels like it’s over way too quick when I’m having so much fun with my friends. It seems like we just get a kickball game going, and the whistle blows to go inside. Our recess time should be longer.  

First off, recess is super important for us. It’s not just about playing; it’s also about taking a break from learning and getting some fresh air. When we play outside, we get to move our bodies, which helps us stay healthy and focused when we go back to class.  Ms. Rabel knows a lot about fitness because she is a gym teacher, and she said that kids should have at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. She also said, “It helps to relieve stress and anxiety, and it also helps students to focus on other classes.” 

But when recess is short, it feels like we barely have enough time to really enjoy it. We rush through games like tag or basketball, and before we know it, it is time to go back inside. It is like we don’t get enough time to really relax and have fun. Ms. Rabel said, “Kids should stay off phones, play some organized games, and get their heart rate up.” When recess is short, some kids don’t get a chance to join in on the games. They might feel left out or sad because they didn’t have enough time to find a group to play with. Some kids just wait by the door to go to our next class.  

Teachers have a lot to do, and they want kids to learn as much as possible. But if kids had just a little more time for recess, it could make a big difference. They’d come back to class feeling happier and more ready to learn. So, grown-ups, listen up! It’s important for kids to have more time for recess. It’s not just about playing; it’s about giving kids a chance to be kids and have fun together.