The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

Track Status
Track Status
May 3, 2024
Grading System
Grading System
May 3, 2024
Earth Day
Earth Day
May 2, 2024

School Lunch

School Lunch

School lunch

Do you ever wonder where school lunch comes from or how they go about things in the kitchen? School lunch is different for everybody, for example if you have an allergy or any health concerns for your child, you can sign a diet prescription form. As for fruits and healthy foods, the USDA (United States department of agriculture) send fresh fruits for the elementary students. But where does the food and other stuff come from? I asked Mr. Bernard a series of questions about the school lunch and how the menu is planned. This is what Mr. Bernard had to say.

I asked Mr. Bernard if he got to choose what they cook for the school and he said that he does not get to choose what he cooks and that it is on a menu, I also asked how they plan food to put on the menu and he responded saying that the school makes a menu before school starts. The menu has food from the beginning of school all the way to the end so that means they only must go off what is on the menu. I asked do you have to buy supplies or food with your personal money, or does the school provide the food, Mr. Bernard said that the food is supplied by the districts, and they pay for all the ingredients. But where do the ingredients come from? Mr. Bernard said that the ingredients come from downtown Seattle. But is there a budget for the food? If so, how much?

“Yes, there is a budget that we use every month. So, we have a certain amount we can use every month…”

The budget depends on what they are ordering, there is not a specific budget for each month. This shows and talks about how Mr. Benard works as the school cook and where the money to buy the food comes from and how they work. I learned How Mr. Bernard and Seattle public schools figure out what to do for the menu’s and how they cook what they cook. This article also shows how and why Mr. Bernard cooks and lets you get to know more about our lunch man at South Shore Middle School. I also learned that the school district has a menu that they plan before school that has a meal planned for every day in the school year.

Written by Sumaya