The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

Track Status
Track Status
May 3, 2024
Grading System
Grading System
May 3, 2024
Earth Day
Earth Day
May 2, 2024

Journalism class

Journalism class

Journalism. In a journalism class you typically learn about how to write articles and new technics on writing. It shows how to publish articles and gives students a sense of what they could be when they grow up. Journalism includes structuring a story and creating headlines for a story that will be published. Journalism gives students a class to be able to write all day, and it teaches them how to correct grammar and how to make a proper article if they want to pursue journaling in the future. Journalism is different from ELA in many ways, because when authoring an article in journalism you must make it professional and ready to publish for other people to read. But when writing in ELA you must make essays based on what you are learning for the teacher. I Interviewed South Shores journalism teacher Ms. Self and this is what she had to say about the class.

Me: “Have you ever published any articles?”

“Yes. I have written lots of different things that have been published. In the Spokane Business Journal, I published an article about a local resident’s garden.”

Me:” Why do you teach journalism?”

“Journalism is important because everyone deserves to have their story told. When we learn more about other people’s experiences and opinions, it strengthens our community. Plus, I feel like it is empowering to see your own words in print.”

Me: “Why is journalism important?”

“It helps students get more involved in their communities and take more ownership over their school climate. I think it improves students’ writing skills and helps them become more curious about the community around them.”

Me: “Do you have to pay for the school paper site?”

“No

Me: “Why did you choose to teach journalism?”

“I advocated for students to have more choices in their electives, especially electives that are heavily reading and writing based.”

Me: “How is journalism different from any other class?”

“Journalism requires students to be Self-motivated and able to work fairly independently most of the time. However, group work is also required for collaborating with other members of your section. Journalism also has short deadlines, so students need to be able to work quickly.”

Those are all the questions I asked Ms. Self. She talked about why journalism is just as important as other classes and why it is important. She also explained how journalism requires students to do certain things and how it requires them to be able to work independently and not rely on others to author a story. And I learned that journalism is not just a class, it also teaches you about real life and how u can precure your future as a journalist. I found out the basics of how the class is maintained and how the teachers figure out where to put each student in a group, it also teaches how to author and with a major in college, u can have many jobs and can be a reporter or an investigator like I am or an editor. There are so many possibilities to writing. Thats why journalism is important.

Written by Sumaya.