The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

May 17, 2024
Field Trip To UW
Field Trip To UW
May 16, 2024

Coaches Inspiring Young Athletes

Coaches Inspiring Young Athletes

Last week, Bernard Garner the assistance coach at Franklin High School and Head coach of the K-8 South Shore middle school has been a great mentor for the young men.

He was interviewed by South Shores students and was asked serval questions but one that stood out was when he was asked “What interest do you have in the position your currently in? And to answer that students question he said, “He loves mentoring and tutoring young men and help kids advance in school and sports.” That shows a lot of Bernard’s character he’s all for the kids and all about helping and guiding them towards the right direction. With his resume of winning state 2x with Garfield and having kids from that program make it to pros proves he’s capable of leading kids in the right direction and helping them reach their goals. He’s hoping he can do that for the kids down at South Shore’s Pk-8 middle school.

The Following week, the students interviewed the Head Coach of the girls’ basketball JV/Varsity team, Sherese Ladd, and asked the same questions they asked Bernard Garner, unlike Bernard she doesn’t have any record of coaching basketball on her resume but is willing to give it a go! This is her first year coaching the girl’s and of hopes she can make a statement with this team and many more to come to establish her spot as one of the greatest girl coaches in the history of South Shore’s Pk-8 middle school.

To end the month off on a better note they interviewed a public figure in the school Jeremi Oliver Aka Mr. Jeremi, he’s one who loves working with kids and keeping them on the right track to not fall into the street life and getting themselves into trouble with the wrong crowd. He has a son who’s named after him, and he is a tremendous athlete and student. Which shows Mr. Jeremi character as a father, individual in the public eye. He’s all about success but do it the right way. He’s a lovable figure around the community of the South Shores Pk-8 middle school.