The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

Track Status
Track Status
May 3, 2024
Grading System
Grading System
May 3, 2024
Earth Day
Earth Day
May 2, 2024

Field Trips

Field Trips

A field trip is school sponsored, if school or ASB funds pay for the activity then it has to be associated with what the students are learning or credit for a class.

For school field trips no students should be prevented from participating in the field trip, or activity because they cannot pay. If something like this happens, scholarships must be made to assist those families that have financial trouble.

If a field trip is privately sponsored, (Meaning the school is not paying for the expenses or materials) then the field trip will not occur during school hours, and the school district should not be named or asked to pay for the materials such as the transportation etc. and no scholarships will be provided, since it’s not school related. if a trip is privately sponsored then the individual that organizing the field trip with assume that all the people who are participating in this event or activity will be responsible and liable for their own injuries. Approval is not required by the school district and the school district will also assume they are not liable for any injuries because this activity was not approved or organized by the school. I Interviewed the principle of south shore (Mr. H) and this is what he had to say about field trips

My first question was

“How do you get the funds?

Mr. H: “Some of the funds come from PTSA, unfilled sub money and grants.”

My second question was.

“What happens if a student gets hurt or a crash happens with the bus.”

Mr. H replied with “Part of the school field trip form is a liability saying that people can’t sue the school for any damages or injuries.”

Me: “What is the budget for a school field trip”

Mr. H said, “the budget for each grade is about 1,000 dollars, some teachers and staff can also get grants or get extra money to do more.”

My fourth question was “How do you guys plan a field trip.”

“Sometimes we get recommendations from people and then we go and ask the teachers if there interested, and if they are we start asking if there’s enough chaperones and necessary things.”

I then asked, “How do you guys come up with educational field trips?”

Mr. H said, “Sometimes teachers will come up with an educational field trip that has something to do with what the students are learning.”

My last question was “Does a field trip have to be educational.”

Mr. H replied with “No not necessarily.”

This is all for my field trip article.

Sincerely, Sumaya

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Blue and Gold

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Shore PK-8. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.