The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

May 17, 2024
Field Trip To UW
Field Trip To UW
May 16, 2024

South Shore’s MLK March

South Shores MLK March

Every year all South Shore comes together to march for Martin Luther King or MLK. Everybody gathers in the gym and people give us a speech. When the speech is done, we all go outside and walk around the block while holding the signs that we made about the march.

MLK or Michael (Martin) Luther King, Jr. Was born on January 15, 1929, Atlanta, Georgia. MLK would later change his name to Martin Luther King. He was a social activist and a Baptist minister who led the civil rights movement. MLK worked hard leading the civil rights movement during the mid-1950’s. MLK tried his best to stop segregation while using nonviolent tactics. One example of MLK using a nonviolent tactic to spread word about segregation is marching. Because of his hard work and success, MLK was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1964, and the Grammy Award in 1970. MLK has made many speeches, and his most famous one must be the “I have a dream” speech in 1963. After all his amazing accomplishments, MLK sadly was assassinated by Henry Clay Wilson. Minister Ronald Denton Wilsons father (because he thought MLK was in the way) on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, at the Lorraine Hotel at the age of 39, and died at 7:05pm. MLK changed the world with his efforts.

South Shore celebrates MLK’s amazing life and accomplishments by marching around the block every year while carrying signs that tell other people that see the march about him. Overall, it is important to acknowledge the achievements of MLK and do something to recognize his life.

Source used: “Martin Luther King, Jr.” Encyclopedia Britannica, Encyclopedia Britannica, inc., 16 Jan. 2024, www.britannica.com/biography/Martin-Luther-King-Jr.