The Blue and Gold

The Student News Site of South Shore PK-8

The Blue and Gold

The Blue and Gold

Field Trip To UW
Field Trip To UW
May 16, 2024

South Shore Eid Celebration

South Shore Eid Celebration

Our school did an Eid celebration on the 19 of April 2024, it was welcomed for
everybody Muslim or non-Muslim, kids played outside, parents chilled inside, it was a
really fun time. Which brings me to wonder, why is Eid celebrated? Why Is there more than
one Eid? What is the meaning of Eid? What are the different cultural celebrations for Eid?
This will all be answered in the end.

WHY IS EID CELEBATED?
Eid al-Fitr is one of two major holidays celebrated by Muslims and commemorates the end
of the holy month of Ramadan, in which Muslims fast daily from before dawn until sunset.
It is commemorated by a large, community-wide prayer service in the morning, followed by
meals and conversation with friends and family.

WHAT ARE THE TWO EIDS?
The first is Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan and celebrates an entire month of
fasting. The second is Eid al-Adha, the festival of the sacrifice that occurs during the
culmination of the Hajj pilgrimage season. It takes place two lunar months after Ramadan.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT CULTURE CELEBRATIONS FOR EID?
In Egypt, Eid is called Eid El-Fitr. The day is marked by feasting and spending time with
family and friends. Egyptians prepare special dishes such as Fatta, which is a mixture of
rice, meat, and bread, and kunefe, a dessert made with cheese and syrup. Egyptians also
have the tradition of buying new clothes and sweets for their children.

In Pakistan, Eid is called Eid Ul-Fitr. The celebration starts with the sighting of the new
moon. On the day of Eid, people wear new clothes and offer Eid prayers in mosques or
open spaces. After the prayer, people visit their relatives and friends and exchange gifts.
Pakistani Muslims also prepare traditional dishes such as biryani, kheer, and sheer khurma
to mark the celebrations.

In Turkey, Eid is called Şeker Bayramı, which means “Sugar Feast.” This name reflects the
sweet treats that are an integral part of the celebration. Turkish people start the day by
washing and putting on their new clothes. They then visit their elders to seek their blessings
and forgiveness. Children receive sweets and money from their elders. Turkish people also
prepare traditional dishes such as baklava and halva.
That’s all your questions answered.